Educational Technology

Educational Technology

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Edmodo vs. Google Classroom

I like both of these course management systems.  I think they both have their good points and not so good points.  Not bad points, just not so good, things that can be worked on.  I have worked with Edmodo for about the last five years.  I have actually tried different systems but I didn’t really find what I was looking for until Edmodo.  One of the first things my students notice about Edmodo is how similar it looks to Facebook.  They really liked that feature (this was when Facebook first became popular).  If I had to choose between Edmodo or Google Classroom I don’t know which I would choose.  I like them both.  I have a chart that I created to just jot down some similarities and differences between Edmodo and Google Classroom. 


I think in the end I would probably choose Google.  One reason behind that is the fact that our students will have Google accounts this next year.  In many of the aspects it is easier for me to use Google Classroom.  For me, one of Google’s strengths is being able to post an assignment and give each student their own copy.  The students can work that copy and turn it in from Google Drive.  There is no downloading, working, and then uploading to turn it in, as in Edmodo.  Google Classroom is so much easier for collaboration projects.  One member can open up the document and share it with the other members of the group. 

I think for me one of the biggest drawbacks of Google Classroom is that there is no parent login available.  I have read where that is in the works.  That is where Edmodo has an advantage.  The teacher can send out parent codes and they can join also and keep an eye on their student’s progress.

One aspect I like about Google Classroom is that I can create “learning experiences” and have ALL my students join that class.  For example, I have created a Paul Revere’s Ride class.  I would have all of my students (usually it was about 110-115 students) join that class.  It would give the students the opportunity to interact with students in other classes besides the one they are in.  I would definitely have to set up some strict guidelines about responding to posts and projects.  There would have be to strict guidelines on how to name their submissions.  Since I would have all students in the same “class” I would require that they respond to students from different class periods.  This could be accomplished in Edmodo also.  I could have everyone join the one class and then break it up into subgroups.  I could number the students 1-6 and then have all the 1’s join a specific subgroup, the 2’s would join a subgroup, and so on.  This would be mainly for discussion posts and responses.  However, one of the biggest drawbacks to Edmodo, for me, is that their discussions aren’t threaded.  If I were to post a discussion question the students can only respond to me (the original poster).  They can’t respond to other student’s responses to the original post.   They can do this in Google Classroom.

One aspect I REALLY like about Google Classroom is giving assessments (quizzes).  I found out how to do this by looking into getting my Google Educator Level 2 certification.  One thing you can do with Google Forms is to “create your own adventure” quiz.  This is really great for differentiation.  I have actually created this with my Paul Revere’s Ride quiz.  Based on how they answer the question determines what happens.  If they answer the question correctly it takes them to the next question.  However, if they answer the question incorrectly it will take them to a video that helps them answer the question correctly.  It explains how to come to the correct answer.  And when grading the question, I can use an Add-On such as Flubaroo.  I can decide which questions I want counted in the grading.  And that is one drawback to Google Classroom…assessments.  In Edmodo, you can push out assessments and it will automatically grade it.  But in Google Classroom, I have to run an Add-On such as Flubaroo.

One wonderful aspect they both have in common is the ability to connect to PlayPosit.  PlayPosit is a website that allows teachers to either upload videos from places like YouTube, TeacherTube, etc or their own created videos.  The teachers then can ask questions along the way to make sure that the students are grasping the concept.  The teacher can pull grades from PlayPosit.


As you can see both Edmodo and Google Classroom have their advantages and disadvantages.  Both platforms support teaching and learning.  When looked at side-by-side they both have many similar affordances.  With these two platforms I think it really boils down to which one are you more comfortable with?  At first I was more comfortable with Edmodo but as I started “playing” with Classroom and became more familiar with it I began to prefer Classroom.  I think you also really need to look at your end result.  For example, I think about my Paul Revere’s Ride lesson…what did I want them to get out of it?  I want them to produce something collaboratively and then look at other projects and discussions and be able to respond critically, appropriately, and respectfully, but also master the skills presented (poetry).  For me, as a teacher, Google Classroom accomplished that better than Edmodo.  However, I know that each platform has advantages and disadvantages, you should pick one and stick with it.  You don’t want to be going between the two.  The students just get confused and frustrated.  If I were to have to go back into the classroom full-time and teach Reading again I would choose Google Classroom to help create the blended classroom that I would like to create.

No comments:

Post a Comment